VIRALPRIME.COM – Daniel Westergren is the Director of Photography from National Geographic Travel, he need to look through all the photos submitted to the Sense of Place assignment. It’s not an easy task as told by Daniel in NatGeo website.
There were so many beautiful shots of beautiful places! When choosing pictures for the final story, I tried very hard to stick with the instructions I gave you: The most compelling shots should have something extra, they must make the viewer feel something.
This is the constant struggle we have when choosing pictures for our magazines and online stories. Especially in the Travel genre it’s easy to pick the pretty pictures and forget about saying something deeper. This means I must look beyond technical perfection and choose the pictures based on the feeling I have when looking at them. Sometimes pictures like this are a little more messy-looking, but not always. The best feeling for an editor is finding those gems that have great composition, lighting, and emotional appeal.
Below are 24 photos selected by Daniel, Hope you all enjoy it.
1. Lanes of India by Sanket Garade, India
2. Kestane vendor by Abdellah Azizi, Morocco
3. Shrine at the Summit by Jonathan Jahnke, Japan
4. women masjid by Murat Bergi, Turkey
5. Street Preacher by Jesse Michener, United States
6. The happiness mask by Alí Marín
7. Rocket Festival by Alex Stelmacovich, Canada
8. Forgotten past, unsure future by Jean Pierre C., France
9. Just Do It by Max Huskins, United States
10. Woman smoking on the rooftop of her home by Ahmad Sheqairat, Jordan
11. Fisherman’s house by Anca Bilt, United Kingdom
12. Surprises of the Ocean by Philip Carnevale, United States
13. The Spirit of Autumn by Enrico Coco, Italy
14. the amusement boat by Rizqa Lahuddin, Indonesia
15. The Battery, St-John’s, Newfoundland by Mathieu Dupuis
16. The Grandmasters by Michael Anderson, New Zealand
17. The weight of life by Simone D’Angelo, Italy
18. China Stories – The Study Room by Wesley Thomas Wong, United States
19. Maasai in the storm by Stefano Cestari Travel Photography, Italy
20. trollstigen by Christoph Schaarschmidt, Germany
21. Panamanian Cantina by Aya Andrews, Panama
22. running by Shih Ming Lin, Taiwan
23. Game over by Andrea Foligni, Italy
24. Way to Hell by Christiano Pessoa, Brazil